Sunday, September 5, 2010

Something Old, Something New

I have a folder in one of our kitchen cabinets that contains all of the recipes that I have collected over time - from friends, the internet, food magazines, etc. I have hundreds of recipes that I have been meaning to try, but we usually just end up making one of our traditional meals. I wanted to mix things up a bit, so I decided to go on mission to try a new recipe every week. For some reason, I made up for about five weeks during this week alone. I tried four new dinner recipes and a new dessert recipe. Every single recipe was a huge hit, so I thought I would share the love. If you are into tasty, healthy, easy meals - give these a shot!

Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta with Chicken
adapted from Kraft Food and Family Magazine or http://www.kraftfoods.com/

3 cups farfalle (bow-tie pasta)
1/4 cup italian dressing (original recipe called for sundried tomato, but I used italian made w/ olive oil)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (original recipe called for shrimp, but I'm not a shrimp person :))
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of salt
4 oz cream cheese, cubed
2 cups grape tomotoes
2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
8 basil leaves cut into strips (you can't beat fresh basil from your own garden)

Cook pasta as directed on package. While pasta is boiling, heat 2 Tbsp dressing in large skillet on medium heat. Add chicken chopped into small pieces and cook until chicken is cooked through (when we made this, we marinated the chicken in dressing for a few hours and cooked it on the grill). Remove chicken from skillet. Add remaining dressing to skillet along with broth, and seasonings. Cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Add cream cheese and cook and stir 2-3 minutes until melted. Stir in tomatoes and cook 1 minute. Drain pasta and mix in bowl with cream sauce, chicken, parmesan cheese, and half of the basil.. Top with remaining basil. Enjoy!!

I'm a dork and I was proud of my work, so I took a pic :)


If I made this again, I might also add fresh mushroom and diced asparagus - our favorite veggies.

Chicken Parmesan Bundles
from Kraft Food & Family magazine or http://www.kraftfoods.com/

4 oz cream cheese (left over from the 8 oz block I bought for the first recipe)
10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (I squeeze it out with a strong paper towel)
1 1/4 cups shredded mozzerella (I use part skim or 2% - I also like the italian 3 cheese blend)
6 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
6 small boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
1 egg
10 ritz crackers (I like the whole wheat ones), crushed
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce (I don't like sweet sauces usually found in jars, so I usually make my own with tomato juice, tomato paste, and spices. However, I really like Hunts no sugar added canned sauce - it's delicious)

Preheat oven to 375. Mix softened cream cheese, spinach, 1 cup of mozzerella, and 3 Tbsp of paremsan chesse until well blended. I also add a little bit of salt and pepper. Spread mixture evenly onto flattened chicken breasts. Starting at one of the short ends of each breast, roll up chicken tightly. Secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining chicken. Beat egg in shallow bowl or pie plate. Mix remaining 3 Tbsp parmesan and cracker crumbs in separate shallow bowl or pie plate. I also added some seasoned bread crumbs and panko (large Japanese bread crumbs). Dip chicken bundles into egg, then roll in crumb mixture. Place into baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove toothpicks. Serve topped with warm spaghetti sauce and mozzerella cheese. Great with cesar salad!


Pepper Jack Turkey Burgers
adapted from Hy-vee Seasons magazine

I have tried a few different turkey burger recipes, and this one is our favorite so far.

2 pounds lean ground turkey
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
additional spices such as thyme, parsley, or whatever you like!
8 slices pepper jack cheese
8 buns (Earthgrains makes these new thin buns which are super healthy and let you taste the meat!)

Mix ingredients until well blended, but be sure not to over-mix or your burgers will be tough. Grill for 10-15 minutes and top with cheese. Let cheese melt and remove from grill. Serve with sliced tomato, lettuce or spinach leaves, and mayo. You'll love these!


Pasta Ponza
I saw this made on food network and had to have it! It's a Giada De Laurentiis recipe, so you know it's good. I left out the capers and added zuchinni instead. It's so easy because you just bake the sauce in the oven and mix it with your favorite pasta.

2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 zuchinni, chopped
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup italian style seasoned breadcrumbs
1 lb tube pasta (ziti or rotini)
1 cup shredded italian blend cheese (or any type you like)
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
chopped fresh basil (8-10 leaves)

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch glass baking dish. Set aside. Place the tomatoes, zuchinni, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in the prepared baking dish. Toss to coat. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the tomato mixture. Drizzle the top with olive oil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the top is golden. Cool for 5 minutes.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water.

Place the pasta in a large serving bowl. Spoon the veggie mixture onto the pasta. Add the cheese and toss well. Thin out the sauce with a little pasta water, if needed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with the chopped basil and shredded parmesan and serve immediately.


Yum Yum Brownie Muffins
From hungry girl's website http://www.hungry-girl.com/ (tips and tricks for hungry chicks!). This recipe is so super easy, you won't believe it.

1 box devil's food cake mix
1 can solid pack pumpkin (15 oz)

Mix the two ingredients together. Don't add anything else that may be mentioned on the box (like oil, egg, or water) or you will mess this all up! The mix will be super thick. Scoop into muffin tins lined with paper or sprayed with non-stick spray (I love Pam for baking). The brownie muffins don't change shape much, so smooth out the tops as much as possible with a spatula. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular muffins or 36 mini muffins. These babies are so moist and delicious and only have 181 calories and 3.5 grams of fat each!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...