We recently returned from our annual family ski trip in Colorado. Eli, Ella and I headed out after work one day and - go figure- it happened to be the day that Kansas was under a severe snow storm warning. We were bound and determined to make it halfway to Colorado that first night, so we decided to take off. All I can say is THANK GOODNESS FOR FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. It was a white knuckle drive the whole time, and at one point, there were no cars around us that could get through this pass on I-70. Police cars were escorting 18 wheelers up a hill, and most other cars were pulled over, surrendering to the snow piling up on the highway. We stopped in the middle of the road and looked at each other before deciding to give it a try. We pulled around the stalled cars and plowed right on through. For the next hour or so, we were the only ones on I-70, which was crazy. It was actually kind of relaxing driving solo though the blustery snow, but not quite as relaxing as it was to pull into our hotel in Hays, KS that night. I don't think my parents have ever been so relieved to see us. The rest of our trip was smooth sailing (or skiing, rather :))
Every year, I look forward to this trip for several reasons:
the majestic views of the Rocky Mountains ...
the thrill of the lift rides up ...
the exhilarating, freeing feeling on the way down ...
a whole week of uninterrupted quality time with my family ...
laughter, relaxation, and lot and lots of games ...
and last, but not least ... fresh crepes in Breckenridge!!
Ella spent a couple of days at the resort daycares, and from the look of her "report cards", it appeared that she had a blast! I think the kids got to go on some adventures in the snow, which I am sure she loved. In the meantime, we hit the slopes without a care in the world (except which run to take next). Here are some other fun pictures from our trip.
My brother's incredible jump ...
My attempt at a jump (I thought my heart was going to beat right out of my chest) ...
ACTION VIDEOS!
All-in-all, it was an amazing time. Aside from the depression that set in once the mountains disappeared in our rearview mirror, the drive home was much more pleasant.
these wind turbines in Western Kansas are so cool ... wind farms dotted the landscape for miles and miles of our drive
I am blessed to share an amazing life with my college sweetheart and best friend, Eli. We have a beautiful, spunky 3 year old daughter and a sweet, lovable shih tzu named Marley (after our Jamaican honeymoon). I am a busy wife, mom, and full time school psychologist, but I somehow find time to journal about my very favorite things - family, friends, food, and photography. I hope you enjoy all of the stories, pictures, and recipes - thanks for following along!
No comments:
Post a Comment