Sunday, January 9, 2011

Under the Weather & Hoping for Snow!

Please forgive this extremely long post, but it's been a while and I have a lot of catching up to do!

So, I'm sick -- really sick. I first started feeling crappy about a month ago, and discovered I had a sinus infection. I got on antibiotics and thought I was getting better until I developed a horrible cold. I had two weeks off of work for Christmas break, and I was sick the whole time. Joy. Well, my cold then turned into another sinus infection and then I got a cold on top of that (didn't know that was possible). Eli developed the same cold, so we are pretty miserable around here. I'm praying these new antibiotics do their job! In the meantime, we are going through a heck of a lot of kleenex.


Ella got lucky and escaped our demise. She just has a little bit of a runny nose, but it seems like she has that all of the time. We've had a great time lounging around our house this weekend (pj style), watching Ella play and entertain us. She has changed so much over the past couple of months, and has developed into this funny, spirited, curious, and independent little person! Here are some new things that she has been doing.

plays hide and seek with us
sings and dances (cutest thing ever)
gives us things and asks us "what's this?"
says "thank you" when you hand her something
shakes her head, puts her arms out, and says "no" (fun, fun)
walks (and almost runs) all over the place
takes small steps up or over things
can figure out how to open most things - even twist lids (thank goodness for child proof caps)
can feed herself with a spoon and fork (although it's not the prettiest thing)
can pick up very large items (such a strong girl)
will come to us if she needs help with something
says "hi" and "bye-bye" and always accompanies it with a wave :)
blows kisses
will go get a toy or something else we ask for
will bring a book to us to read
will "pet" Marley (still working on "soft touches") and follow him around, laughing when he becomes playful
will duck down, and pop up saying "ah!", trying to scare us (of course, she always does)
tries to put on her own shoes and hats
tries to brush her teeth and hair (although she needs a little help with this)
blows her nose
tries to smell things and gives them to us to smell, too!

Our little bean is so darn goofy - she has a gift for making us laugh with each and everything she does.


We had a wonderful Christmas together. My brother flew in from Charleston, SC and spent a whole week at home. It was so much fun watching him and Ella play together. You can definitely tell that he adores her; I have a feeling that they are going to be best friends.

Nick giving Ella a ride in her new swing!


We celebrated Christmas Eve at my mom and dad's house and spent most of Christmas day at my grandma's in Lawrence. A lot of people, a lot of food, a lot of gifts, and Ella was a trooper through it all (except for that minor little incident where she knocked a glass of red wine off of the coffee table and onto my parents' white carpet).

thanks to a new tripod (and some photography tutorials), I am figuring out how to make bokeh pics with my camera (clear foreground and blurred background). this one turned out nicely with the Christmas tree lights




Ella got so much cool stuff this year. We had to slow down on the gifts and try to open only a couple each day, because she could really only be excited about one thing at a time.

Ella and her new instrument set - she loves to bang on the drums


one of the best things we got Ella this year - a Twilight Ladybug


About this ladybug ... I knew what this thing did when we bought it, but I had no idea how amazing it would be. It's unbelievably relaxing to lay on the floor in her room and look up at all the stars. The moon, stars, and constellations this thing produces on the ceiling and the walls puts those glow-in-the-dark stick-on things to shame.


One of the best parts about our holidays was all of the visitors we had. Eli's best friend Jarrett came to stay with us for a night, Eli's aunt, uncle, cousins, and grandpa came over for brunch ...


... and my sister and brother in law drove over from St Louis to spend New Years Eve with us. Even though there were only 4 of us, we had a blast playing Pass the Pigs, Sing Star, and just being goofballs!

 another bokeh pic - this time with Christmas lights and a glass of beer!

 we took a whole bunch of pics like this - thanks to the new remote control for our camera!


Eli turned 31 on Dec 29th, and when I asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday, he told me that he wanted to spend it at home with us (awww). We made his favorite BLATs (Bacon Lettuce Tomato and Avocado Sandwiches) along with homemade pasta salad. I also made one of his favorite desserts - Lemon Angel Food Cake with fresh berries. We sang "happy birthday" and Ella even helped him blow out his candles. It was the perfect night.




That's about it for now! Hope everyone has a wonderful 2011 - filled with lots of joy, laughter, special memories, and great food!

mmmwah!


P.S. It's supposed to snow about 6 inches tonight ...  I could so use a snow day right about now.

1 comment:

  1. Jarret came to stay with us too! And he told me about your blog!I'm married to Robert Hollinsworth from Potosi, so that's how he knows Jarret! I thought I was the only goofy one around here who blogged but it was nice to know I'm not the only one. We will enjoy following your blog! Mine is hollinsworthhouse.blogspot.com!
    (We live in Clinton, MO)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...