Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Showers and Flowers

April Showers

Whenever it rains, I get this excited, giddy feeling in the pit of my stomach that makes me smile from the inside out. One of my favorite memories of all time is from college when my friend Emily and I took a walk around campus in the pouring rain. We talked and laughed and got soaked to the bone, but had a blast and created a lasting memory. I wanted Ella to get a taste of how much fun this is, so one day when it started raining, we strapped on the rain boots and what I thought was a waterproof coat (but not so much) and headed outside!

she loved splashing in the puddles


I spy a froggie!


Just as I suspected, Ellasyn loved the rain as much as her momma does.

May Flowers

All winter long, I gaze out the window at my empty back porch and envision spring and the arrival of flowers and color to our backyard. Once the weather warms up, we usually take a trip to Johnson Farms to check out their selection ... this year, the rows and rows of brightly colored, beautiful flowers took my breath away.




the most beautiful hanging basket I have ever seen

I've already taught Ella how to water the flowers, so she should be a big help in keeping them alive once the scorching summer sun takes over.

Flowers Aren't the Only Things Growing Around Here

In just a couple of months, Ella will be two years old. She changes so much everyday, so there's no telling what she will be like by August. Right now, she is ...

SPUNKY - usually perks right up when you get her out of bed and is ready to PLAY
ENTERTAINING - likes to make funny noises and faces that crack us up
TICKLISH - will tell you "dat tik-ews" when you scratch her back or tickle her feet or belly
TALKATIVE - chats about anything and anyone she sees
INDEPENDENT - always wants to do things on her own first before she will let you help her
HELPFUL - wants to help cook and clean and (sometimes) put things away
PASSIONATE - sends a message loud and clear when she is happy, sad, or mad
ADVENTUROUS - always wants to be standing on something, climbing on something, sliding down something, riding on something, or flying through the air
FRIENDLY - will walk up to others (especially kids) with a great big smile and a "HI!"
AFFECTIONATE - is a master hugger and kisser (mmmwah!)
CURIOUS - wants to see what's going on around her and is always pointing and asking what things are
OUTDOORSY - this girl loves playing outside in her swing or on her bike
CLUMSY - it is hilarious to watch her run, which inevitably ends with her biting it in some big way. No problem for her, though ... she usually says "I faw" and jumps right back up!
CURLY - can't tell you how many comments I get on a daily basis about her lovely curls

Some other funny stuff ... for the life of me, we cannot get Ella to say "mama" on a regular basis. She will say it when prompted or on occasion spontaneously, but she typically calls me "dada" (ugh). She calls my mom "Nana" and my dad "Papa" very clearly, but cannot call me "mama". We went to Walmart the other day and she started saying "Ah-bee", "Ah-bee" over and over until I realized that she recognized one of her friends from daycare, Aubrey. She saw this little baby in her shopping cart and immediately knew her name, yet she cannot call me "mama". Go figure.



Ella's spaghetti mac face. We try to coordinate messy food nights with her bath nights for this very reason. She insists on feeding herself and does pretty good with a fork and spoon, although most of the time more ends up on her face, in her hair, on the floor, or in Marley's tummy than in her mouth.



Oh how I love our happy little peanut. I want to end this post with some lyrics from a Taylor Swift song that hits close to home ... perfect for what I am feeling at this very moment (and yes, I bawled the first time I heard this).

Your little hands wrapped around my finger
And it's so quiet in the world tonight
Your little eyelids flutter 'cause you're dreaming
So I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light

To you, everything's funny
You got nothing to regret
I'd give all I have, honey
If you could stay like that

Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
Just stay this little
Oh, darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up
It could stay this simple

I won't let nobody hurt you
Won't let no one break your heart
No, no one will desert you
Just try to never grow up, never grow up

sniff, sniff :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...