Friday, December 21, 2012

Fun Running

So, I've never been a runner. In the past, every time I'd make an attempt to go running, I'd usually end up walking instead and would tell myself, "It's okay to be a fast walker - it's better for your knees". In the summer of 2012, I decided to make a change. I really wanted to get in shape, and I kept reading about the physical and emotional benefits of running, so I decided to give it a serious go. The summer before, I had done some running to train for the Warrior Dash (see evidence here) but I didn't really have a plan to increase my endurance. This time, I printed off the Couch to 5K running plan and signed up for the Color Run to keep me motivated. The nice part about the running plan is that it was a gradual increase to a three mile run over a twelve week period. It involved increased intervals of fast walking and running and didn't take more than 30 minutes a day. When I first started, I really couldn't imagine running for more than 5 minutes at a time, but as I continued on, I realized that my body naturally wanted to run further and further.

By the time the Color Run rolled around, I was ready. It was the first official 5K where I ran the entire time, and I was SO excited! The run was was easier than I expected it to be, probably because of all the people and excitement going on. Every kilometer, a different color powder was thrown on you. It really was the happiest 5K on the planet.







After the Color Run, we continued on our running streak with the Broadway Bridge 5K for Special Olympics, the Joggin for the Noggin 5K in Atchison, KS to honor a close friend who died from cancer, and more recently, the Ugly Christmas Sweater Run in Lawrence, KS. Good times.



Now it's freezing outside and I am not going to be one of those crazy people that bundles up in my winter gear and goes for a jog. The treadmill will have to do, especially after all the holiday treats I have inhaled.

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome! Looks like fun! Me and Alex tried the couch to 5K program one time but I just couldn't hack it. Now that I'm four months in as a non-smoker I might give it another try! haha Miss ya guys and love the blog! Feel like I get to see you guys sometimes this way!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...